1 whole chicken
3/4 cup salt (plus more for seasoning)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 small red onion
3-4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cilantro
Freshly ground black pepper
- Clean the chicken: Remove chicken from its packaging and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Discard giblets, and trim any excess fat around the neck and tail.
- Prepare the brine: In a large pot, mix one gallon of cold water with 3/4 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Brine the chicken: Submerge the chicken the brine and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Prepare the vegetable stuffing: Just before removing the chicken, dice the onion, garlic, and cilantro. Mix together and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the brine: Take the chicken out of the brine mixture and rinse thoroughly to remove all excess salt. Pat dry.
- Season the chicken: Carefully stick your fingers between the skin of the chicken and the breast meat to create an opening. Stuff the vegetable mixture beneath the skin of the chicken and rub it inside the chicken as well. Season with extra salt and pepper.
- Truss the chicken: Truss the chicken with the cooking twine. This is important for sealing the cavity of the chicken to ensure even and slow cooking. There’s a helpful video here if you’ve never done it before.
- Prepare the grill: Remove the grill grates from grill and place a shallow baking pan in their place. The pan will catch drippings and prevent flare-ups. Set the grill for medium-high to high heat and preheat to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Secure the chicken to rotisserie spit: Securely clamp the chicken between the spit forks and turn on rotisserie motor.
- Baste chicken: With a basting brush, thoroughly coat chicken with the barbecue sauce of your choice. You will want to baste the chicken (with sauce and drippings) at 20 to 30 minute intervals throughout the cooking process.
- Cook the chicken: Let chicken cook over indirect heat until the thickest part of the thigh reaches 85 degrees Celsius and has a deep golden skin (1 to 2 hours).
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest: When finished cooking, remove the chicken from the rotisserie spit and let it set at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. This will give the chicken time to reabsorb its juices.
- Cut and serve. After the chicken has sufficiently rested. Cut, serve, and enjoy!