3 slices bacon (rind removed and chopped)
1 tablespoon olive oil
400 g button mushrooms (finely chopped)
1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt (freshly ground)
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
1 cup cheese (grated, tasty, cheddar is good)
2 tablespoons chives (finely chopped)
80 g butter (melted)
2 eggs (lightly whisked)
2⁄3 cup milk
- In a frying pan (skillet) fry bacon over a medium-high heat until light and golden stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Remove to a kitchen paper covered plate.
- Increase heat to high, add oil and mushrooms to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes till tender and then set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin (regular size) or a 6 texas size (3/4 cup) muffin tin.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt and pepper into a bowl and add cheese and chives and mix together.
- Whisk butter, egg and milk in a jug and pour into dry ingredients, stirring gently until almost combined.
- Fold through the bacon and mushrooms.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes for regular size muffins